November 5, 2016
The World Champion Chicago Cubs had quite a party Friday in front of a few admirers on the sun soaked lake front at Grant Park. The intimate gathering was so special, it even has a ranking.
The following are the largest human gatherings in history:
1. Kumbh Mela pilgrimage, India, 2013 – 30 million
2. Arbaeen festival, Iraq, 2014 – 17 million
3. Funeral of CN Annadurai, India, 1969 – 15 million
4. Funeral of Ayatollah Khomeini, Iran, 1989 – 10 million
5. Papal gathering in the Philippines, 2015 – 6 million
6. World Youth Day, 1995 – 5 million
The estimated crowd for the Cubs? Five million.
So, in the course of Human Events, the celebration of beating a 108 year drought in a game with a batted ball played on a grassy field ranks SEVENTH. Not too shabby, eh?
There will be many indelible memories from this season; discussions within our own editorial staff concluded that there is SO much material to discuss as to keep everyone involved up to and even past next season. So, in the spirit of the moment, some indelible sights from the incredible journey the Cub multiverse endured, and ultimately enjoyed, together.
One word comes to mind: Enjoy…